Every Piece of Jewellery Tells a Story



To a girl, jewellery means a lot. More than that, it's personal when it comes from someone - a parent, a relative, a friend... This blog post tells the story of a piece of jewellery.

Do you see that bracelet with an infinity sign and charm that says 'BFF'? It used to be kept in the refrigerator for preservation. The band was sky blue in colour and the charms were as gold as time and I wanted to keep it in the fridge so that its shine could stay forever. It's quite ironic because the friendship behind this bracelet did not last. In eighth grade, I had a group of four best friends who had really kept me afloat in times when I felt lost and lonely. Yet, as we descended into the ninth grade, all of us were separated into different classes and all of us made new friendships and new groups... except one. Most of us respected the fact that we had grown apart by natural means. However, one friend didn't adapt quite fast and she got left behind.

Although it was still easy for me to talk to the other three friends and catch up, it was difficult with her as she carried a heavy burden, something that made me feel very very guilty. I wasn't her fault of course. As tenth grade came and I realized that she had been looking quite down and was barely talking to me, even if I tried. I asked around a little, and it was then I heard that she wanted to break ties off with me and the others. It came as a bit of a shock, but I expected it. Although no one else really wanted to speak with her about it, I decided to talk to her. I agreed that I had not spent as much of time with her as I should have and said that I was sorry, but it was mutually agreed that we should keep apart for a while. I never knew you could "break up" with your friend, but in a way, that was what it was. I believe it was relieving for both of us. She could finally move on, and I didn't have to carry the burden and guilt that I should talk to her every second of the day.

My friendship with her was quite different, and my relationship with her affected me a lot. The guilt and burden took me to a point that I began to write poetry to express my feelings. I believe I've written two or three about her.

Anyhow, after some distance, we both are back on friendly terms. I think it goes to say that sometimes you need that space, even from a friend, and sometimes you need to deal with in a mature manner. There was no shouting or screaming or accusations thrown across - just talking and an agreement. Every time friends break apart, especially girls, there is so much of drama and crying and talking behind a person's back and deleting their pictures from your feed on Instagram. Sometimes, we don't always need to do that.

Comments

Popular Posts